Marathon Race Day Essentials
For me preparation is key to performing well on the day and leaving nothing to chance. Here’s my race day checklist that I use.
- Make a list – check it and check it again.
- Know where the race is and plan route (prior to race day, preferably).
- Set alarm with plenty of time to get ready.
- Check weather forcast.
- Usual breakfast routine for me, which is: jumbo oats, blueberries and 1 scoop of pea protein powder. Don’t try anything new on race day.
- If race starts at 11am, aim to eat breakfast 2-3hrs before.
- Running shoes and any kit needed.
- Running belt /bum bag for your fuel (gels, snacks etc).
- Fueling (don’t try anything new on race day that you haven’t practiced with in training).
- Toilet paper.
- If weather is hot then take hat, sun glasses, sun cream, extra water.
- If weather is cold then take gloves, thermal layers, hat, running tights.
- Safety pins, number, chip timer.
- GPS watch.
- If it’s a cold day wear clothes to keep you warm before the race starts that you don’t mind throwing away.
- Warm clothes for when you have finished.
- Some food for when you finish (not junk food). Something like a Cliff bar or home made muesli bar.