6 ways to reduce body fat and drop a dress size or jean size!
Got body fat? I’ve 6 simple and effective ways for you to shed that unwanted body fat. While fat loss can be quite frustrating, these 6 strategies are proven to help you slim down fast.
1. Cut out the CRAP. Caffeine, refined sugar, alcohol and processed foods reduce the impact that insulin and cortisol have on the body’s ability to lose weight.
Caffeine – Caffeine is a stress to the system and will cause the adrenal glands to release adrenalin into the system. This causes the body to release sugars into the blood stream (this is the fight or flight syndrome) and releases a rush of energy. In hunter gatherer societies this energy would have been used to catch dinner! With stress from coffee or sitting traffic the sugars needed for the energy in relation to stress are no longer used, and so the body releases insulin to take the sugars out of the blood stream. It takes the sugars to the fat cells, where they are mixed with fatty acids and fixed as fats. Plus at the same time the body releases cortisol to reduce the adrenalin in the system.
The presence of cortisol and insulin together means that fat is laid down around the middle more readily than any other area of the body. This fat around the mid-section of the body is a form of inflammation that releases its own hormones. The hormones released interfere with the production of leptin, the hormone that tells us we are full. Sadly the more fat around the middle the bigger the appetite! Plus these hormones can also disrupt insulin levels, leading to insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and in some cases heart disease.
Refined sugar – With all sugars comes the release of insulin. Insulin is the hormone that makes us fat. It fixes sugars in the fat cells, plus it stops the production of lipase, the fat burning hormone. By cutting out refined sugars the aim is to push the insulin levels as low as possible. This will allow blood sugars to be more balanced and therefore maximise the fat burning opportunity.
Alcohol – Alcohol is a form of sugar, often full of toxins too and targets the waist line.
Processed junk food – The majority of processed food has no value to the system at all. It is so over produced that there is little nutritional value! Plus the processing and storage phase often leaves the food full of extra toxins, putting a further stress on the system. In addition, the cartons in which processed foods are stored have chemical coatings that are hormone disruptors and can increase hormonal problems such as PMT and menopause in females.
The best tip for successfully getting processed junk food out of your life is to have wholesome alternatives on hand while removing the junk food from your home. If you are a late night snacker, then be prepared by having fresh fruit, sliced veggies, plain Greek yogurt or other wholesome snack replacements on hand. When your belly is full of wholesome snacks, it’s hard to care too much about the processed junk you missed out on. And soon you’ll learn to love how lean and energetic these healthier foods make you feel.
2. Drink plenty of Water Water is always a crucial element for proper bodily functions, and even more so when fat loss is your goal. The liver plays a key role in the conversion of fat into energy, and this process requires that you be well hydrated. Aim for 3-4 litres per day.
3. Variety of Aerobic exercise Variety is so important when it comes to the aerobics side of your routine. Getting in calorie-burning activities is crucial to quickly eliminating fat stores. For example: hiking, biking, swimming, surfing, jogging, running, brisk walking, gardening – any activity that requires you to move your body for a decent duration of time and break a nice sweat in the process.
4. Hit the Weights The act of lifting weights causes those targeted muscles to stimulate new muscle tissue growth. The increase in muscle translates to a higher metabolism, which means that your body will naturally burn fat faster and more efficiently. Now this doesn’t mean that your muscles are going to get noticeably larger (relax, ladies!) but it does mean that your muscle tissue will become tighter and more toned.
5. HIIT High Intensity Interval Training is a method that has been quite popular in the past decade – and for good reason. HIIT is achieved by performing short, intense burst of exercise between shorter recovery times. For example, 40 seconds burpees followed by 20 seconds of recovery.
6. Work with a Fitness Professional When your car needs new brakes, you take it the mechanic. When you wake up with a fever and sore throat, you go to the doctor. When your hair gets too long, you go to get it cut. When you need to reduce body fat, you…try to do it all on your own? That makes no sense. My expertise is fat loss. When people in Sheffield need a new and improved body they come to me. I’m passionate about getting my clients results, and my programs have been proven effective.